Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA: /ɔːkˈsɪljəɹi/, IPA: /ɔːkˈsɪliəɹi/, IPA: /ɔːkˈsɪləɹi/
- (GenAm) IPA: /ɔɡˈzɪljəɹi/, IPA: /ɔɡˈzɪliɛɹi/, IPA: /ɔgˈzɪləɹi/
- (cot-caught merged) IPA: /ɑɡˈzɪljəɹi/, IPA: /ɑɡˈzɪliɛɹi/, IPA: /ɑgˈzɪləɹi/
auxiliary (not comparable)
- Helping; giving assistance or support.
- auxiliary troops
- Supplementary or subsidiary.
- Held in reserve for exceptional circumstances.
- (nautical) Of a ship, having both sails and an engine.
- (grammar) Relating to an auxiliary verb.
helping; giving assistance or support
supplementary or subsidiary
held in reserve for exceptional circumstances
relating to an auxiliary verb
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
auxiliary (plural auxiliaries)
- A person or group that acts in an auxiliary manner.
- A sailing vessel equipped with an engine.
- (grammar) An auxiliary verb.
- A marching band colorguard.
person or group that acts in an auxiliary manner