Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backbone (plural backbones)
- The series of vertebrae, separated by disks, that encloses and protects the spinal cord, and runs down the middle of the back in vertebrate animals.
- any fundamental support, structure, or infrastructure
- Before automobiles, railroads were a backbone of commerce.
- courage, fortitude, or strength
- He would make a good manager, if he had a little more backbone.
series of vertebrae that encloses the spinal cord
any fundamental support, structure, or infrastructure
courage, fortitude, or strength
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.