Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backspace (plural backspaces)
- The key on a typewriter that moves the head one position backwards.
- (computing) A keyboard key used for removing a character behind the cursor, and moving the cursor one position backwards.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (computing) To remove a character behind a cursor.
- (computing) To move a magnetic tape to a previous block.