Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
bittern (plural bitterns)
- Several bird species in the Botaurinae subfamily of the heron family Ardeidae.
1819, Washington Irving, The Sketch Book, Rip Van Winkle:
- It is a great rock or cliff on the loneliest part of the mountains, and, … is known by the name of the Garden Rock. Near the foot of it is a small lake, the haunt of the solitary bittern, with water-snakes basking in the sun on the leaves of the pond-lilies which lie on the surface.
terms derived from bittern (bird)
bird of the subfamily Botaurinae
- The liquor remaining after halite (common salt) has been harvested from saline water (brine).
- (archaic) A very bitter compound of quassia, cocculus indicus, etc., used by fraudulent brewers in adulterating beer.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Cooley to this entry?)