Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: calqué
calque (plural calques)
- A word or phrase in a language formed by word-for-word or morpheme-by-morpheme translation of a word in another language.
word formed by word-for-word translation of a word in another language
- (transitive) To adopt (a word or phrase) from one language to another by semantic translation of its parts.
to adopt a word by translation of its parts
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
calque m (plural calques)
- tracing (the reproduction of an image made by copying it through translucent paper)
- calque (a loan translation)
- "calque" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- first-person singular present subjunctive of calcar
- third-person singular present subjunctive of calcar
- third-person singular imperative of calcar