Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A small bow, generally performed by a woman or a girl, where she crosses one calf of her leg behind the other and briefly bends her knees and lowers her body in deference.
- I refused to make so much as a curtsey for the passing nobles, as I am a staunch egalitarian.
small bow of knees and lowered body, usually by a female
- To make a curtsey.
- The hotel's staff variously curtsied, nodded, and bowed to the owner as she passed.
- 1841, Charles Dickens, Barnaby Rudge
- "I’m sure you’ll excuse me, sir," said Mrs Varden, rising and curtseying.
- 1861, George Eliot, Silas Marner
- On the other hand, Mrs. Ladbrook was standing in skull-cap and front, with her turban in her hand, curtsying and smiling blandly...
- 1887, H. Rider Haggard, Allan Quatermain
- 'I be as nothing in the eyes of my lord,' and she curtseyed towards him...
- 1890, James Russell Lowell, Address in Publications of the Modern Language Association of America
- But DANTE was a great genius, and language curtesys to its natural Kings.
- 1903, W.E.B. DuBois, The Souls of Black Folk
- He curtsied low, and then bowed almost to the ground, with an imperturbable gravity that seemed almost suspicious.
- 1908, Caroline Crawford, Folk Dances and Games
- The gentleman bows and the lady curtesys (measure eight).
to make a curtsey