Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) Polite behavior.
- Please extend them the courtesy of your presence.
- (countable) A polite gesture or remark.
- I offered them a ride simply as a courtesy.
- (uncountable) Consent or agreement in spite of fact; indulgence.
- They call this pond a lake by courtesy only.
- (uncountable) Willingness or generosity in providing something needed.
- They received free advertising through the courtesy of the local newspaper.
- A curtsey.
- The lady drops a courtesy in token of obedience, and the ceremony proceeds as usual.
polite gesture or remark
consent or agreement in spite of fact; indulgence
- Alternative form of curtsey.
- Given or done as a polite gesture.
- We paid a courtesy visit to the new neighbors.
- Free of charge.
- The event planners offered courtesy tickets for the reporters.
given or done as a polite gesture