Audio (US) (file)
escort (plural escorts)
- A body of armed men to attend a person of distinction for the sake of affording safety when on a journey; one who conducts some one as an attendant; a guard, as of prisoners on a march; also, a body of persons, attending as a mark of respect or honor; -- applied to movements on land, as convoy is to movements at sea.
- The troops of my escort marched at the ordinary rate. -Burke.
- An accompanying person in a social gathering etc.
- Protection, care, or safeguard on a journey or excursion; as, to travel under the escort of a friend.
- A sex worker who does not operate in a brothel, but with whom clients make appointments; a call girl or male equivalent.
See also 
- To attend with a view to guard and protect; to accompany as safeguard; to give honorable or ceremonious attendance to; -- used especially with reference to journeys or excursions on land; as, to escort a public functionary, or a lady; to escort a baggage wagon.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.