Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
safeguard (plural safeguards)
- Something that serves as a guard or protection; a defense.
- Getting a flu shot is a good safeguard against illness.
- One who, or that which, defends or protects; defence; protection.
- Thy sword, the safeguard of thy brother's throne.
- A safe-conduct or passport, especially in time of war.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
something that serves as a guard or protection; a defense
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- to protect, to keep safe
- She kept a savings to safeguard against debt and emergencies.
- to escort safely
to protect, to keep safe
- to be checked