Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -əʊtɪŋ
floating (not comparable)
- That which floats or float.
- floating buoys
- Not fixed in position, opinion etc.; free to move or drift.
- The outcome of the forthcoming election is still unclear due to the large number of floating voters.
- In China, the large floating population has tended to gravitate to cities.
- You can drag the floating toolbars to any position on the screen.
- (linguistics, of a tone) that is not attached to any consonant or vowel within its morpheme.
Derived terms 
that which floats
- Present participle of float.