Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
foliation (plural foliations)
- The process of forming into a leaf or leaves.
- The manner in which the young leaves are disposed within the bud.
- The act of beating a metal into a thin plate, leaf, foil, or lamina.
- The act of coating with an amalgam of tin foil and quicksilver, as in making looking-glasses.
- The enrichment of an opening by means of foils, arranged in trefoils, quatrefoils, etc.; also, one of the ornaments.
- The property, possessed by some crystalline rocks, of dividing into plates or slabs, which is due to the cleavage structure of one of the constituents, as mica or hornblende. It may sometimes include slaty structure or cleavage, though the latter is usually independent of any mineral constituent, and transverse to the bedding, it having been produced by pressure.
- (topology) A set of submanifolds of a given manifold, each of which is of lower dimension than it, but which, taken together, are coextensive with it.
topology: a set of subspaces coextensive with a manifold