Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (general) A sport played on foot in which teams attempt to get a ball into a goal or zone defended by the other team.
- Roman and medieval football matches were more violent than any modern type of football.
- (other than the US, uncountable) association football: a game in which two teams each contend to get a round ball into the other team's goal primarily by kicking the ball. Known as soccer in Canada and the United States.
- Each team scored three goals when they played football.
- (US, uncountable) American football: a game in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- Each team scored two touchdowns when they played football.
- (Canada, uncountable) Canadian football: a game played on a wide field in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball to the end of each other's territory.
- They played football in the snow.
- (Australia, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory, uncountable) Australian rules football.
- (Ireland, uncountable) Gaelic football: a field game played with similar rules to hurling, but using hands and feet rather than a stick, and a ball, similar to, yet smaller than a soccer ball.
- (Australia, New South Wales, Queensland, uncountable) rugby league.
- (Australia, Ireland, New Zealand) rugby union
- (countable) The ball used in any game called "football".
- The player kicked the football.
- (uncountable) Practise of these particular games, or techniques used in them.
- (figuratively, countable) An item of discussion, particularly in a back-and-forth manner
- That budget item became a political football.
- (slang, countable) The nickname of the leather briefcase containing classified nuclear war plans, which is always near the US President.
- ("football" in Britain):
- ("football" in the US): (British) American football, (Australia) gridiron, gridiron football
- ("football" in Canada): (outside Canada) Canadian football
- ("football" in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia): footy, Aussie Rules, VFL (outdated), AFL
- ("football" in New South Wales and Queensland): footy, league
- ("football (association football)" in Australia): soccer
Terms derived from "football"
game in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia
game in New South Wales, Queensland
practise of any of these games
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Category:Football (Soccer) for a list of terms used in football/soccer.
- Football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Football (word) on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Football (word) Details of the word football in various parts of the world.
- American football on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:American football
- Translations of football (soccer) terms
football m (plural footballs)
- "football" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).
- football (soccer)