Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also formâtion
formation (plural formations)
- Something possessing structure or form.
- The act of assembling a group or structure.
- (geology) A rock or face of a mountain.
- (military) A grouping of military units or smaller formations under a command, such as a brigade, division, wing, etc.
- (military) An arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft, such as a wedge, line abreast, or echelon. Often "in formation".
- The process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation.
- (military grouping of units): battle group, brigade group, task force, combat team
- (military arrangement of forces): tactical formation, battle formation
something possessing structure or form
act of assembling a group or structure
geology: rock or face of a mountain
military: arrangement of moving troops, ships, or aircraft
process of influencing or guiding a person to a deeper understanding of a particular vocation
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- formation in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- formation in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
Borrowed from Latin formatio.
- IPA: /fɔʁmasjɔ̃/
formation f (plural formations)