Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Old English grydel.
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)dəl
girdle (plural girdles)
- That which girds, encircles, or encloses; a circumference
- A belt or elasticated corset; especially, a belt, sash, or article of dress encircling the body usually at the waist, often used to support stockings or hosiery.
- The zodiac; also, the equator.
- The line of greatest circumference of a brilliant-cut diamond, at which it is grasped by the setting.
- A thin bed or stratum of stone.
- The clitellum of an earthworm.
- (Scotland, Northern England) Alternative form of griddle.
a thin bed or stratum of stone
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (transitive) To gird, encircle, or constrain by such means.
- (transitive) To kill or stunt a tree by removing or inverting a ring of bark.