Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
hermaphrodite (plural hermaphrodites)
- An individual or organism possessing gender-ambiguous sexual organs, typically including both types of gonads. [from late 14th c.]
- An earthworm is a hermaphrodite.
- A person or thing possessing two opposing qualities.
- (nautical) A hermaphrodite brig.
- Like many terms that start with a (non-silent) h and have emphasis on their second syllable, some people precede hermaphrodite with an, others with a.
- Intersex is now the preferred term for human description.
individual or organism having both male and female gonads
person or thing possessing two opposing qualities
- Having gender-ambiguous sexual organs, typically including both types of gonads, in one individual or organism.
- Combining two opposing qualities.
having both male and female gonads
hermaphrodite (masculine and feminine, plural hermaphrodites)
hermaphrodite m and f (plural hermaphrodites)