Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
nourish (plural nourishes)
- To feed and cause to grow; to supply with matter which increases bulk or supplies waste, and promotes health; to furnish with nutriment.
- To support; to maintain.
- To supply the means of support and increase to; to encourage; to foster; as, to nourish rebellion; to nourish the virtues.
- To cherish; to comfort.
- To educate; to instruct; to bring up; to nurture; to promote the growth of in attainments.
- To promote growth; to furnish nutriment.
- (intransitive, obsolete) To gain nourishment.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)
feed and cause to grow