Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
prototype (plural prototypes)
- An original object or form which is a basis for other objects, forms, or for its models and generalizations
- An early sample or model built to test a concept or process
- The prototype had loose wires and rough edges, but it worked.
- (semantics) An instance of a category or a concept that combines its most representative attributes.
- A robin is a prototype of a bird; a penguin is not.
- (computing) A declaration of a function that specifies the name, return type, and parameters but none of the body, or actual code.
- See also Wikisaurus:exemplar
Derived terms 
Related terms 
an original object or form which is a basis for other objects
- To create a prototype of.