Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Vanilla
- (countable) Any tropical, climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla (especially Vanilla planifolia), bearing podlike fruit yielding an extract used in flavoring food or in perfumes.
- (countable) The fruit or bean of the vanilla plant.
- (uncountable) The extract of the fruit of the vanilla plant.
- (uncountable) The distinctive fragrant flavour/flavor characteristic of vanilla extract.
- (uncountable) Any artificially produced homologue of vanilla extract, principally vanillin produced from lignin from the paper industry or from petrochemicals.
- (colloquial, chiefly computing) standard, plain, default, unmodified, basic
- (sexuality) not kinky, not involving BDSM
2006, Felix Lance Falkon, Gay Art: A Historic Collection, ISBN 1551522055, page 136:
- An uncharacteristically vanilla threesome and non-cute realist rendering - derived paradoxically from tracing drawings rather than photographs.
2010, Chloe Stowe, Hard Water, ISBN 1607774054, page 37:
- While Dominick was more of a vanilla kind of a guy himself, he wasn't a total dunce when it came to the kinkier sides of things.
2014, Christina Thacher, The Negotiation: A BDSM Romance, ISBN 193957305X:
- Sebastian could never do that, be in a marriage with a vanilla woman.
- See also Wikisaurus:bare-bones
flavoured/flavored with vanilla