Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Vignette
vignette (plural vignettes)
- (architecture) A running ornament consisting of leaves and tendrils, used in Gothic architecture.
- (printing) A decorative design, originally representing vine branches or tendrils, at the head of a chapter, of a manuscript or printed book, or in a similar position.
- (by extension) Any small borderless picture in a book, especially an engraving, photograph, or the like, which vanishes gradually at the edge.
- (by extension) A short story or anecdote that presents a scene or tableau, or paints a picture.
- The small picture on a postage stamp.
- (photography) The characteristic of a camera lens, either by deficiency in design or by mismatch of the lens with the film format, to produce an image smaller than the film's frame with a crudely focused border. Photographers may deliberately choose this characteristic for a special effect.
running ornament used in Gothic architecture
decorative design at the head of a chapter, of a manuscript or printed book
small borderless picture in a book
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- plural form of