Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Extreme force.
- The violence of the storm, fortunately, was more awesome than destructive.
- Action intended to cause destruction, pain, or suffering.
- We try to avoid violence in resolving conflicts.
- Widespread fighting.
- Violence between the government and the rebels continues.
- (figuratively) Injustice, wrong.
- The translation does violence to the original novel.
Related terms 
- (extreme force): force
action intended to cause destruction, pain or suffering
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also 
violence f (plural violences)