Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Extreme force.
- The violence of the storm, fortunately, was more awesome than destructive.
- Action intended to cause destruction, pain, or suffering.
2013 July 19, Mark Tran, “Denied an education by war”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 6, page 1:
- One particularly damaging, but often ignored, effect of conflict on education is the proliferation of attacks on schools […] as children, teachers or school buildings become the targets of attacks. Parents fear sending their children to school. Girls are particularly vulnerable to sexual violence.
- We try to avoid violence in resolving conflicts.
- Widespread fighting.
- Violence between the government and the rebels continues.
- (figuratively) Injustice, wrong.
- The translation does violence to the original novel.
- (obsolete) ravishment; rape; violation
- (extreme force): force
action intended to cause destruction, pain or suffering
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
violence f (plural violences)