Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Ἑβραῖος
- Jew (a male who follows the religion of Judaism)
- Hebrew (a male who is from the Semitic tribe that lived in ancient Palestine)
The terms used in Greek for the Jewish people vary in their shades of meaning:
- Εβραίος m (Evraíos) refers to the Hebrews and their religious background and the associated religious culture. It is the dominant word in use today for the Jews in general.
- Ιουδαίος m (Ioudaíos) is an older term and covers ethnic, religious, historical and cultural meanings.
- Ισραηλίτης m (Israilítis) covers only the religious aspect.
- Ισραηλινός m (Israilinós) is a term for anyone who lives or is from the modern state of Israel.