Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: jew
Jew (plural Jews)
- An adherent of Judaism.
- Both Jews and Muslims refrain from eating pork.
- A member or descendent of the Jewish people.
- Many Jews eat pork.
- c. 1600, William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice (Act III, scene I)
- Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs
- dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with
- the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject
- to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means,
- warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
- as a Christian is?
- (derogatory) A miserly or greedy person; a spendthrift; a cheapskate.
- 2010, Matthew S. Hiley, Hubris Falls, page 111:
- “Jesus, Williams, you're such a Jew,” Jimmy said in an annoyed, high-pitched tone. “Have you ever just paid a check, or do you always make an ass of yourself?”
- There is an archaic plural Jewes.
- The Jewish community is often defined as having a common religion, culture, identity, and ethnicity, but individual Jews do not necessarily share all of these; therefore, a person might be a Jew by one standpoint but not by another. Additionally, there are some religious groups that identify themselves as part of Judaism, but that other Jewish groups might not; hence, use of the term Jew often depends on the speaker's opinions.
- The noun Jew is not offensive, and the overwhelming majority of English-speaking Jews use the noun Jew to identify themselves. That said, it has become offensive for historical reasons to use the word Jew attributively, in modifying another noun (as in "Jew lawyer"); the adjective Jewish is preferred for this purpose. Additionally, the derived verbs jew and jew down are considered offensive, as they reflect stereotypes considered offensive.
- Judaist (religion, uncommon)
- Hebrew (dated)
- Yahudi (Quranic)
- Israelite (dated)
- kike (derogatory)
- Moses (dated, derogatory)
- yid (informal or derogatory)
- heeb (derogatory)
- sheeny (derogatory)
- hymie (derogatory)
- (religionists) religion, religionist; Baha'i, Buddhist, Christian, Confucianist, deist, Druid, Eckist, heathen, Hindu, Jain, Jew, Muslim, pagan, Rastafarian, Raëlian, Shintoist, Sikh, Taoist, Unitarian Universalist, Wiccan, Zoroastrian (Category: en:Religion) 
- Sranan Tongo: Dyu
person of the Jewish faith
a person with a Jewish cultural or ancestral connection
Uncertain, see Jew's harp for more.
Jew (not comparable)