From the root י־ר־ד (y-r-d). Cognate to Arabic وَرَدَ (warada), Ge'ez ወረደ (wärädä).
יָרַד • (yarád) (pa'al construction, infinitive לָרֶדֶת)
- To go down, descend.
― yoréd géshem.
― It is raining. [literally, Rain is descending.]
- To go down, decline, decrease.
- To emigrate from Israel, or (humorous) from another country.
- To criticize, lambaste; construed with the preposition על (al, “on”).
- To get out of a vehicle.
- (descend): עלה (alá, “go up, ascend”)
- (decrease): עלה (alá, “go up, increase”)
- (emigrate from Israel): עלה (alá, “immigrate to Israel”)