The traditional account* states that ㅂ (b) is derived from ㅁ (m) by the addition of a stroke (ㅁ而ㅂ […] 其因聲加畫).
- IPA(key): /p/
- Actual realisation:
- (word-initially) IPA(key): [p]
- (between vowels, after nasals and liquids) IPA(key): [b]
- (after stops) IPA(key): [p͈]
- (before stops, or word-finally) IPA(key): [p̚]
- (before nasals) IPA(key): [m]
- (next to /h/) IPA(key): [pʰ]
ㅂ • (b)
- 비읍 (bieup, “bieup”), a jamo (letter) of the alphabet of the Korean writing system, hangeul; the unaspirated bilabial plosive (/p/)
In the North Korean order, ㅂ (b) is the sixth jamo. In the South Korean order, it is the eighth.
- (unaspirated plosive jamo): ㄷ (d), ㄱ (g)
- (bilabial jamo): ㅁ (m), ㅍ (p)
- ㅍ (p)
- ㅁ (m) (in Ledyard account)