The traditional account* states that ㅂ (b) is derived from ㅁ (m) by the addition of a stroke (ㅁ而ㅂ […] 其因聲加畫).
- IPA(key): /p/, [p], [b], [p̚], [m] invalid IPA characters (//)
- Phonetic hangul: ㅂ, ㅁ
ㅂ • (b)
- 비읍 (bieup, “bieup”), a jamo (letter) of the alphabet of the Korean writing system, hangeul; the unaspirated bilabial plosive (/p/)
In the North Korean order, ㅂ (b) is the sixth jamo. In the South Korean order, it is the eighth.
- (unaspirated plosive jamo): ㄷ (d), ㄱ (g)
- (bilabial jamo): ㅁ (m), ㅍ (p)
- ㅍ (p)
- ㅁ (m) (in Ledyard account)