|Kanji in this term|
- emerging country, newly industrialized country
- (dated) a newly independent country, no longer a colony
A country labeled as a 新興国 in Japanese could be deemed in English to be either an emerging country or a newly industrialized country, or even both, depending on the context.
The sense of no longer a colony is no longer used in modern contexts.
- 先進国 (senshin koku): developed country
- 発展途上国 (hatten tojō koku): developing country
- 開発途上国 (kaihatsu tojō koku): developing country (less common synonym of 発展途上国)
- 低開発国 (tei kaihatsu koku): developing country (literally, “low-development country”)
- 後進国 (kōshin koku): developing country (less common; literally, “backward country”)