Contraction of have.
- (postvocalic) IPA(key): /v/
- (postconsonantal) IPA(key): /əv/
- Homophone: of (postconsonantal 've only, unstressed of only)
- Have in its sense marking the perfect or retrospective tense.
- (dialect) Have in its other uses.
In many dialects, -'ve is only used to mark the perfect aspect ("I've done something" = "I have done something"), not to signify possession ("I have something"), necessity ("I have to do something"), &c. In others, -'ve is used more broadly; this is sometimes proscribed.