Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: asher
- (biblical) Eighth son of Jacob, by his wife's handmaid Zilpah.
- (biblical) One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Asher.
- A male given name
- A female given name
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Genesis 35:22b-26
- Now the sons of Jacob were twelve: 23 The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun: 24 The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and Benjamin: 25 And the sons of Bilhah, Rachel's handmaid; Dan, and Naphtali: 26 And the sons of Zilpah, Leah's handmaid; Gad, and Asher: these are the sons of Jacob, which were born to him in Padan-aram.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible, Joshua 21:30
- And out of the tribe of Asher, Mishal with her suburbs Abdon ith her suburbs,
eighth son of Jacob