Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A Semitic Akkadian kingdom, extant as a nation state from the mid–23rd century BC to 608 BC centred on the Upper Tigris river, in northern Mesopotamia (present day northern Iraq), that came to rule regional empires a number of times through history.
Semitic Akkadian kingdom
- Assyria (ancient kingdom and subsequent Roman province)
- “Assyria” in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879.
- “Assyria” in Félix Gaffiot (1934), Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Paris: Hachette.
- Obsolete spelling of (used in Portugal until September 1911 and died out in Brazil during the 1920s).