Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (derogatory) a Christian fundamentalist, or an over-zealous evangelical Christian.
- 1870, J. Ashworth, “Old Ab'.”, in Strange Tales from Humble Life, Manchester: Tubbs and Brook, page 253:
- Zeal and knowledge have here a wide field ; the calm, thoughtful logician ; the cold, phlegmatic reasoner ; the cautious, pathetic pleader ; the shouting, stamping Bible thumper ; all have their mission, all have their followers and admirers...
- 1900 June 16, Joseph Paul, “Lord Roberts in Times of Peace”, in The Standard, volume 47, number 42, Chicago: Goodman & Dickerson, page 7:
- The terms "Blue Light," "Holy Joe" and "Bible Thumper" began to lose some of their venom ; religion in the army was respected.