Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Evangelical
- Pertaining to the doctrines or teachings of the Christian gospel or Christianity in general.
- Pertaining to the gospel(s) of the Christian New Testament.
- Protestant; specifically Lutheran and Calvinist churches in continental Europe as well as their offshoots in North America.
- Pertaining to a movement in Protestant Christianity that stresses personal conversion and the authority of the Bible (evangelicalism).
- Pertaining to Islamic groups that are dedicated to dawah and preaching the Quran and sunnah.
- 1987, Yvonne Yazbeck Haddad, Islamic Values in the United States: A Comparative Study, page 10:
- When the mosque came under the influence of an evangelical Muslim group (Jamaati Tableegh), the formerly congenial situation changed noticeably.
- Zealously enthusiastic.
While evangelical may have all the above meanings, it is often used now for meaning 4.
Evangelic has only the meanings 1-3 and is now used often to differentiate these meanings from evangelicalism.
pertaining to the doctrines or teachings of the Christian gospel or Christianity in general
evangelical (plural evangelicals)
- A member of an evangelical church
- An advocate of evangelicalism