Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: book
An Americanized form of German Buch, or alternatively a variant of Buck.
Book (plural Books)
- A surname.
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Book is the 5471st most common surname in the United States, belonging to 6356 individuals. Book is most common among White (93.36%) individuals.
- Hanks, Patrick, editor (2003), “Book”, in Dictionary of American Family Names, volume 1, New York City: Oxford University Press, →ISBN, page 193.
- a surname from Cebuano
German Low German
From Middle Low German bôk, from Old Saxon bōk (“book”), from Proto-West Germanic *bōk, from Proto-Germanic *bōks (“beech, book”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰeh₂ǵos. Cognate with Dutch boek, English book, West Frisian boek, German Buch, Danish bog, Faroese bók, Icelandic bók, Norwegian bok, Swedish bok, Gothic 𐌱𐍉𐌺𐌰 (bōka). The Germanic root is often taken to be related to the word for beech, the wood of rune-tablets.
Book n (plural Böker or Beuker or Boken)
- Book Mormon
- Greun Book
- Gröön Book
- lütt Book
- Root Book
- Der neue SASS: Plattdeutsches Wörterbuch, Plattdeutsch - Hochdeutsch, Hochdeutsch - Plattdeutsch. Plattdeutsche Rechtschreibung, sixth revised edition (2011, →ISBN, Wachholtz Verlag, Neumünster)
- English terms derived from German
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- English countable proper nouns
- English surnames
- English surnames from German
- Cebuano lemmas
- Cebuano proper nouns
- Cebuano surnames
- Cebuano surnames from Cebuano
- German Low German terms inherited from Middle Low German
- German Low German terms derived from Middle Low German
- German Low German terms inherited from Old Saxon
- German Low German terms derived from Old Saxon
- German Low German terms inherited from Proto-West Germanic
- German Low German terms derived from Proto-West Germanic
- German Low German terms inherited from Proto-Germanic
- German Low German terms derived from Proto-Germanic
- German Low German terms inherited from Proto-Indo-European
- German Low German terms derived from Proto-Indo-European
- German Low German lemmas
- German Low German nouns
- German Low German neuter nouns