Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- An ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before its conquest by Israelites.
- A subfamily of the Semitic languages, which were spoken by the ancient peoples of the Canaan region, including Canaanites, Israelites, Phoenicians, and Philistines.
Canaanite (plural Canaanites)
- A member of the ancient Semitic people who occupied Canaan before its conquest by Israelites.
- (by extension) A zealot or fanatic.
- A member of the Canaanism movement.
member of ancient Semitic people
- Of or pertaining to the people or language of Canaan.
- Of or pertaining to this sect or its followers; Canaanitic
- (by extension) zealous or fanatical.
of or pertaining to this sect or its followers
- OED 2nd edition 1989