- Rhymes: -æri
- A surname, a less common spelling of Carey.
- A male given name transferred from the surnames.
- A diminutive of the female given name Caroline.
- The name of several towns in the United States:
- A river in Somerset, England, which flows into the River Parrett.
- 1849 Charlotte Brontë: Shirley: Chapter XXV:
- "My sister gave it to me - my only sister, Cary. Would that your aunt Caroline had lived to see her niece!"
- 1999 Ian Rankin: Dead Souls ISBN 0312974205 page 246:
- "You'll laugh when I tell you my name. All I can say is, nobody consulted me."
- "Why, what's your name?" Laughing now as he stepped past her into the hall.
- "Cary," he told her. "After the actor. Only I've never managed to be quite so suave."
- Castle Cary (from the river)