Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɛəɹi
- A surname, a less common spelling of Carey.
- A male given name transferred from the surnames.
- A diminutive of the female given name Caroline.
- The name of several towns in the United States:
- A river in Somerset, England, which flows into the River Parrett.
- 1849, Currer Bell [pseudonym; Charlotte Brontë], chapter 25, in Shirley. A Tale. […], volume (please specify |volume=I to III), London: Smith, Elder and Co., […], →OCLC:
- "My sister gave it to me - my only sister, Cary. Would that your aunt Caroline had lived to see her niece!"
- 1999, Ian Rankin, Dead Souls, →ISBN, page 246:
- "You'll laugh when I tell you my name. All I can say is, nobody consulted me."
"Why, what's your name?" Laughing now as he stepped past her into the hall.
"Cary," he told her. "After the actor. Only I've never managed to be quite so suave."
- Castle Cary (from the river)
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- English given names
- English male given names
- en:Rivers in Somerset, England
- en:Rivers in England
- en:Places in Somerset, England
- en:Places in England
- English terms with quotations
- English diminutives of female given names
- English female given names
- English surnames
- English unisex given names