Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: dixie
Unknown for certain; may come from the Mason-Dixon line, the boundary between the northern states and the southern states or from the slang term dixie for a Louisiana $10 bill that had the French word dix printed on it.
- (informal, US) The southern United States; the South.
- (informal, US) The southwestern corner of Utah.
- (US) A female given name transferred from the place name.
- "Dixie" in Michael Quinion, Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds, 2004.
- ^ Funk, W. J., Word origins and their romantic stories, New York, Wilfred Funk, Inc.