From Middle High German fotze (focze), see also fud. Akin to Bavarian Fotzen (“cunt (swearword towards a women); a slap in the face, on the mouth and the mouth itself”), Dutch vot (“arse”), Kölsch Fott (“buttocks”) and Scots fud (“cunt”). It is unclear whether the sense "arse" or the sense "vulva" is older. Sources give contradictory comments on this matter.
Fotze f (genitive Fotze, plural Fotzen)
- (vulgar, slang) cunt (vulva)
- (vulgar, slang) cunt (swearword, usually towards women)
- (colloquial, regional, Bavaria and Austria) muzzle
- Halt die Fotze! - (literally: Hold your muzzle) Shut up!
- (colloquial, regional, Bavaria and Austria) slap in the face
Fotze said to a woman is one of the most offensive insults in the German language. In the sense of "vulva" it is also a highly vulgar and pejorative word.
- Fotze in Duden online