New Year's resolution
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnjuː jɪəz ˌɹɛzəˈluːʃ(ə)n/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈn(j)u jɪɹz ˌɹɛzəˈl(j)uʃ(ə)n/
- Hyphenation: New Year's re‧so‧lu‧tion
- A vow that one makes on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day for the coming year.
- He made a New Year's resolution to quit smoking.
- 1869, George Putnam Upton, Letters of Peregrine Pickle, page 78:
- I never saw but one person who succeeded in keeping a New Year's resolution, and he had pined away so rapidly in his physical and grown so abnormally in his moral man, that it was really painful to look at him.
vow one makes for the coming year