Jump to navigation Jump to search
From Hebrew אוֹפִיר. Mentioned as a place in the Bible; modern scholars have been unable to determine where it was located.
- (historical, Christianity) A city or region mentioned in the Bible, famous for its gold.
- 1831, L[etitia] E[lizabeth] L[andon], Romance and Reality. […], volume II, London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley, […], →OCLC, page 142:
- However, September came, and with it my second brother; and his companion for the shooting season was the young, handsome, and lively Henry O'Byrne, descended from kings whose crown was old enough to have been made of the gold of Ophir.
- A locality in Cabonne Council, New South Wales, Australia.
- A sparsely populated farming community in Algoma District, Ontario, Canada.
- A small settlement in Central Otago, New Zealand.
- A ghost town in Yukon-Koyukuk Census Area, Alaska.
- An unincorporated community in Placer County, California.
- A town and home rule municipality of San Miguel County, Colorado.
- An unincorporated community in Morgan County, Kentucky.
- An unincorporated community in Curry County, Oregon.
- A tiny town in Tooele County, Utah; suburb of Salt Lake City.
- Ofir, a beach located in Esposende, Braga district, Portugal.
- ^ The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), London: […] Robert Barker, […], 1611, →OCLC, 1 Kings 9:28: “And they came to Ophir, and fetched from thence gold, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it to King Solomon.”.
- English terms borrowed from Hebrew
- English terms derived from Hebrew
- English lemmas
- English proper nouns
- English terms with historical senses
- English terms with quotations
- en:Villages in New South Wales
- en:Villages in Australia
- en:Places in New South Wales
- en:Places in Australia
- en:Villages in Ontario
- en:Villages in Canada
- en:Places in Ontario
- en:Places in Canada
- en:Villages in New Zealand
- en:Places in New Zealand
- en:Ghost towns in Alaska, USA
- en:Places in Alaska, USA
- en:Places in the United States
- en:Unincorporated communities in California, USA
- en:Unincorporated communities in the United States
- en:Places in California, USA
- en:Towns in Colorado, USA
- en:Towns in the United States
- en:Places in Colorado, USA
- en:Unincorporated communities in Kentucky, USA
- en:Places in Kentucky, USA
- en:Unincorporated communities in Oregon, USA
- en:Places in Oregon, USA
- en:Towns in Utah, USA
- en:Places in Utah, USA
- en:Places in Salt Lake City