settlement (plural settlements)
- The act of settling.
- The state of being settled.
- A colony that is newly established; a place or region newly settled.
- A community of people living together, such as a hamlet, village, town, or city.
- (architecture) The gradual sinking of a building. Fractures or dislocations caused by settlement.
- (finance) The delivery of goods by the seller and payment for them by the buyer, under a previously agreed trade or transaction or contract entered into.
- (law) A disposition of property, or the act of granting it.
- (law) A settled place of abode; residence; a right growing out of legal residence.
- (law) A resolution of a dispute.
- (A resolution of a dispute): arrangement
- See also Wikisaurus:settlement
newly established colony
community of people living together
(architecture): gradual sinking of a building
(finance) delivery and payment
(law) disposition of property