Audio (US) (file)
proceeding (plural proceedings)
- The act of one who proceeds, or who prosecutes a design or transaction
- The collection of academic papers published in the context of an academic conference
- Progress or movement from one thing to another.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 2, The Celebrity:
- I had occasion […] to make a somewhat long business trip to Chicago, and on my return […] I found Farrar awaiting me in the railway station. He smiled his wonted fraction by way of greeting, […], and finally leading me to his buggy, turned and drove out of town. I was completely mystified at such an unusual proceeding.
- A measure or step taken in a course of business; a transaction; as, an illegal proceeding; a cautious or a violent proceeding.
- The proceedings of the high commission.
- Plural, see proceedings.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.