An originally Central and Low German word, from late Middle High German smicke, smyncke (“make-up”), Middle Low German sminke. Further origin uncertain, but probably related with schmeichen, Middle Low German smēken (“to spread, stroke”).
Schminke f (genitive Schminke, plural Schminken)
- Ich gehe immer ohne Schminke zur Arbeit.
- I always go to work with no make-up on.
- Schminke and Make-up are principally synonymous, but the former is more likely to be used referring to the cosmetic substances, whereas Make-up is more likely to refer to the look that these substances create. Moreover, only Schminke is typically used in the context of carnival costumes and the like.
- Danish: sminke
- Dutch: schmink
- Esperanto: ŝminko
- Hungarian: smink
- Macedonian: шминка (šminka)
- Norwegian: sminke
- Serbo-Croatian: šminka, шминка
- Slovenian: šminka
- Swedish: smink
- Schminke in Duden online