Jump to navigation Jump to search
Smith (plural Smiths)
- An English surname (the most common in Britain, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand).
- 1852 August 1, D. H. Jacques, “A Chapter on Names”, in The Knickerbocker, or, New-York Monthly Magazine, volume XL, page 114:
- John is a most excellent name, and Smith is a surname which is worthy of respect and honor, but wo to the man on whom they are conjoined! For John Smith to aspire to senatorial dignities or to the laurel of a poet is simply ridiculous. Who is John Smith? He is lost in the multitude of John Smiths, and individual fame is impossible.
- A hamlet in Alberta, Canada
- A ghost town in California
- An unincorporated community in Galena Township, LaPorte County, Indiana, USA
- An unincorporated community in Kentucky
- An unincorporated community in Nevada
- An unincorporated community in South Carolina
transliterations of the name Smith
surnames derived from the equivalents of “smith”
most common surnames by language
- According to the 2010 United States Census, Smith is the most common surname in the United States, belonging to 2,442,977 individuals. Smith is most common among White (70.9%) and Black/African American (23.1%) individuals.
- A surname.