Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Please do not re-nominate for verification without comprehensive reasons for doing so.
- Three examples among others from gbooks :
- Henderson's dictionary of biology: "pyxidium n. a capsular fruit which dehisces transversely, the top coming off as a lid"
- Flowering plants, Dicotyledons: "The large, globose, woody pyxidium of Bertholletia is secondarily indehiscent and has only a small operculum that falls inwards. This species drops the pyxidium to the ground and is dispersed by agoutis."
- Fabre Poet of Science: "The capsule of gold−beater's skin, in which the grubs of the Cione are enclosed, divides itself, at the moment of liberation, into two hemispheres "of a regularity so perfect that they recall exactly the bursting of the pyxidium when the seed is distributed" (note: Cione = Cionus thapsus).
- Or did I misunderstand your request? — Xavier, 23:54, 15 September 2011 (UTC)