Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (slang) A nickname for Hollywood.; A district of Los Angeles, California, United States
- 2014, Leonard Cohen (lyrics and music), “Samson in New Orleans”, in Popular Problems:
- There's a woman in the window / There's a bed in Tinseltown / I'll write you when it's over / Let me take this temple down
- (slang, by extension) The movie industry, as found in Hollywood, and Greater Los Angeles, CA, US
- (slang, by extension) The film industry of the United States of America
- (slang, by extension) The film industry in general
- (India, slang) The Bollywood movie industry.
- 2012, James Lambert, “Beyond Hobson-Jobson: A new lexicography for Indian English”, in World Englishes, page 302:
- Bollywood is also very commonly known as both tinsel town and B-town, neither of which is listed in the dictionaries.
- (India, slang) The Tollywood movie industry
- (India, informal, by restriction) A nickname for Film Nagar.; A neighbourhood of Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Tinseltown (plural Tinseltowns)