Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An area in Los Angeles, known as the center of the American motion picture industry.
- (by extension) The American motion picture industry, regardless of location.
- 2013 June 29, “Travels and travails”, in The Economist, volume 407, number 8842, page 55:
- Even without hovering drones, a lurking assassin, a thumping score and a denouement, the real-life story of Edward Snowden, a rogue spy on the run, could be straight out of the cinema. But, as with Hollywood, the subplots and exotic locations may distract from the real message: America’s discomfort and its foes’ glee.
- A village in Wythall parish, Bromsgrove district, Worcestershire, England (OS grid ref SP0877).
area of Los Angeles
the American motion picture industry
- Resembling or relating to the Hollywood movie industry.
- 2002, Jon E. Lewis, Hollywood v. Hard Core: How the Struggle Over Censorship Created the Modern Film Industry, pages 168-169:
- As many critics pointed out, the timely (but mostly tame and light) comedy was not too controversial, but too popular, too American, and too Hollywood to headline a festival that was scheduled to screen the likes of Robert Bresson's Un Feme Douce, Jean-Luc Godard's Le Gai Savior, Eric Rohmer's My Night at Maud's, Agnes Varda's Lion's Love, Paola Pier Pasolini's Pigpen, and Bo Widenberg's Adelen '31.
- 2007, Jason Isbell, "Dress Blues":
- What did they say when they shipped you away to fight somebody's Hollywood war?
- 2013, Marc Raymond, Hollywood's New Yorker: The Making of Martin Scorsese, page 68:
- The film is at once too Hollywood and too realistic. It is tied to genre conventions while stylistically following the new code of realism, especially with regard to mise-en-scène and performance.
Hollywood (plural Hollywoods)
- A waxing practice that removes all of the pubic hair, unlike a Brazilian which leaves a small strip behind.
- 2009, Shane Watson, How to Meet a Man After Forty and Other Midlife Dilemmas:
- If you ask the woman who does your waxing she will tell you that everyone is asking for Brazilians or Hollywoods, including Gwyneth Paltrow […]