Jump to navigation Jump to search
Christmas (plural Christmases)
- A festival, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ and incorporating various Christian, pre-Christian and secular customs, which is celebrated on December 25 in most places.
- Do you celebrate Christmas?
- This Christmas we'll open presents then go to grandma's for dinner.
- The Twelve Days of Christmas: Christmastide; the season (traditionally from the 24th of December to the 6th of January) around the holiday.
- A personification of Christmas.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (marketing, retailing) The Christmas season, variously defined as the period from the Friday following Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve, or the end of the year period, when consumers shop and prepare for Christmas.
- The last three Christmases have been good for retailers.
- Christmas shoppers spent less this December, than last year, but our store will probably see just as many returned items during the twelve days of Christmas.
Terms derived from Christmas
- → Gilbertese: Kiritimati
- → English: Kiritimati
- → Golin: geresma
- → Hawaiian: Kalikimaka
- → Japanese: クリスマス (Kurisumasu)
- → Korean: 크리스마스 (keuriseumaseu)
Christmas (not comparable)
- (US) Red and green (traditional Christmas colors), especially red and green chile sauce in New Mexican cuisine.