Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: toyota
From Japanese トヨタ (Toyota), from the name of the Toyoda family. The spelling was changed to Toyota because of a belief that it sounded better, or that トヨタ takes eight strokes to write, and 8 is considered lucky.
- (UK) IPA(key): /tɔɪˈəʊtə/
- (US) IPA(key): /tɔɪˈoʊtə/, /taɪˈoʊtə/, [tɔɪ̯ˈoʊ̯ɾə], [taɪ̯ˈoʊ̯ɾə]
- Rhymes: -əʊtə
- The Toyota Motor Corporation, a Japanese manufacturer of cars.
- A city near Osaka in Japan, where the eponymous manufacturer has its headquarters.
- (countable) A brand of car manufactured by Toyota, or a car of this brand.
Toyota Motor Corporation
- rōmaji reading of