Types of barnstars
I don't think having just one barnstar is very helpful. If there are several, it gives more of an idea how they may be used by our editors, and it also adds a bit more colour and variety to them which is also attractive. Because Wikipedia already has a large collection of barnstars, it would be easier to see which of the barnstars being used there would also be useful for us.
- Original Barnstar - Of course! Awarded for general achievements.
- Anti-Vandalism Barnstar - Because vandalism happens just as much on Wiktionary!
- Rosetta Barnstar - For someone who helps to improve translation tables.
- "What a Brilliant Idea!" Barnstar - Maybe this one needs a change of name... but it's good to reward someone if they solve some difficult problem in a nice way.
- Invisible Barnstar - Rewarding someone who just does work and isn't seen anywhere else... this seems especially important for new users.
- Citation Barnstar - For users who show good work with finding citations and verifying terms.
- Cleanup Barnstar - For users who help to clean up entries.
- Teamwork Barnstar - When several editors work together to get a big task done, like cleaning out a category or fixing a large number of entries with a problem (the recent work done to categorise uncategorised templates is a good example!).
- Template Barnstar - Definitely useful with Wiktionary being as template-heavy as it is. This may be awarded for users who help Wiktionary by designing and maintaining templates, or if someone cleans up a particularly complicated template or makes it easier to use.
- Excellent User Page Award (Userpage Barnstar?) - To compliment people that their user pages are particularly helpful to other editors.
- Motto of the Day Barnstar (Word of the Day Barnstar?) - For those who help with WotD and keep it running.
- Categorisation Barnstar - For those who help to keep categories clean and make sure everything is organised.
- Helping Hand Barnstar - For those who often jump in to help new users find their way on Wiktionary.
There may also be a few that could be useful specifically to Wiktionary. These would need to be created new:
- Etymology Barnstar - For users who help by adding etymological information to entries. This might also be awarded to users who do a lot of work maintaining reconstructions.
- Bot Barnstar - For users whose bots have made a significant contribution to Wiktionary.
- Minority Barnstar - For users who help to improve the coverage of languages with few entries, and users who work on languages that are relatively obscure.
- Polyglot Barnstar - For users who do significant work on a wide range of languages.