Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əˈbeɪst/
Audio (Southern England) (file) Audio (CA) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /əˈbeɪst/
- Rhymes: -eɪst
- Humbled; lowered, especially in rank, position, or prestige.
- (heraldry) Synonym of
- 1865, Notes and Queries, page 251:
- The blazon will be - A fess abased potentée of Champagne towards the point. The peculiar potent of Champagne may be seen in Bouton, Nouveau Traité de Blason, p. 199 (Paris, 1863.)
- 1913, Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society, Transactions and Journal of Proceedings, page 107:
- (G) Azure 3 bells in fess, abased.
- 1984, Charles A. Ravenstein, Air Force Combat Wings: Lineage and Honors Histories, 1947-1977, page 113:
- Per fess abased nebuly celeste and gules fimbriated argent throughout a pile azure between two rays in point argent bearing a sword in pale point to base of the like, grip gules, […]