Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: adéquate
- adæquate (archaic)
- Equal to some requirement; proportionate, or correspondent; fully sufficient;
- powers adequate to a great work
- an adequate definition
- De Quincey
- Ireland had no adequate champion.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Empty House
- All day, as I drove upon my round, I turned over the case in my mind and found no explanation which appeared to me to be adequate.
equal to some requirement
- (obsolete) To equalize; to make adequate.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Fotherby to this entry?)
- (obsolete) To equal.
- It [is] an impossibility for any creature to adequate God in his eternity. — Shelford.