Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: allégation
- (UK, US) enPR: ăl'ĭ-gā'shən, IPA(key): /ˌæl.ɪˈɡeɪ.ʃən/, /ˌæl.əˈɡeɪ.ʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
allegation (plural allegations)
- An assertion, especially an accusation, not necessarily based on facts.
- She put forth several allegations regarding her partner in hopes of discrediting his actions.
2011 December 14, Steven Morris, “Devon woman jailed for 168 days for killing kitten in microwave”, Guardian:
- Philip Miles, defending, said: "This was a single instance, there was no allegation of continuing behaviour over a long period of time."
2004 April 15, “Morning swoop in hunt for Jodi's killer”, The Scotsman:
- A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: "We can confirm that a 15-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in connection with the murder of Jodi Jones. A 45-year-old has also been arrested in connection with allegations of attempting to pervert the course of justice. A report on this has been sent to the procurator fiscal."
- The act of alleging.
an assertion or accusation